panel of plasma lipids could represent a new diagnostic tool for identifying
patients likely to develop Alzheimer's disease before symptoms appear,
according to new clinical findings from a team of U.S. researchers.1
Although the lipid panel could help enrich clinical trials of AD therapeutics
for likely responders, validation studies will need to confirm its specificity
for AD over other forms of dementia.
team enrolled 525 participants with no history of major neurological,
psychiatric or blood disorders. Blood samples were withdrawn and cognitive
tests performed at the start of the study and every year thereafter.
study potentially opens a new door in biomarker development for Alzheimer's
disease," said Stephen Salloway. "Having a plasma profile that is
associated with the disease and that can predict its progression would be a
Road map for
team's immediate next step is to validate the lipid markers in a larger,
retrospective study using banked plasma samples-such as those from the
Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI), Mapstone told SciBX. Once
the samples are in hand, he expects to be able to complete the validation
within a few months.
Haas, M.J. SciBX 7(11);
Published online March 20, 2014
1. Mapstone, M. et al. Nat. Med.; published online March
9, 2014; doi:10.1038/nm.3466
Contact: Howard J. Federoff, Georgetown University,
2. Irizarry, M.C. NeuroRx 1, 226-234
3. Ray, S. et
al. Nat. Med. 13, 1359-1362 (2007)
4. Doecke, J.D. et al. Arch. Neurol. 69,
5. Nitsch, R.M. et al. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 1671-1675 (1992)
6. Schaefer, E.J. et al. Arch. Neurol. 63,
7. Mulder, C. et al. J. Neural Transm. 110, 949-955 (2003)
8. Walter, A. et al. Neurobiol. Aging 25, 1299-1303 (2004)
9. Prasad, M.R. et al. Neurochem. Res. 23,
10. Pettegrew, J.W. et al. Neurochem. Res. 26,
11. Weiner, M.W. et al. Alzheimer's Dement. 9, e111-e194; published online Aug. 7, 2013;
AND INSTITUTIONS MENTIONED
Alzheimer's Association, Chicago, Ill.
Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation, New York, N.Y.
Foundation for the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md.
University, Washington, D.C.
Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, D.C.
GlaxoSmithKline plc (LSE:GSK; NYSE:GSK), London, U.K.
Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, N.Y.
Rochester General Hospital, Rochester, N.Y.
Unity Health System, Rochester, N.Y.
University of California, Irvine School of Medicine, Irvine, Calif.
University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y.
University of Rochester Medical Center School of Medicine
and Dentistry, Rochester, N.Y.
The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, R.I.